People don’t usually think of the kitchen as a place where essential oils shine.
The kitchen is not the first place the mind goes to when discussing lavender, lemon, basil or marjoram. But the truth is there are so many wonderful ways to use these fragrant oils that have nothing to do with the healing of cuts or the massaging of sprains!
I was a little hesitant in the beginning to use essential oils in cooking as I was unsure as to how safe it would be for my family. But after some research and a lot of experimentation I have discovered that essential oils very definitely have a place in every kitchen, and in fact they have pride of place in mind. These delightful oils are powerful strong substances and a little goes a long way, but their fragrance and flavor will delight the palate and the senses and I promise you they will work their way into your heart and your baking and you will never look back. I haven’t.
Try a few of these ideas, and experiment with some of your own.
- Mix a drop or two of Lemon essential oil in olive oil and drizzle over fish filet and bake!
- make flavored butters by adding one drop of a chosen oil to eight ounces of butter or cream cheese to put on everything from roasted vegetables, to steak or chicken, to bagels and breads.
- Try rose flavored cream cheese dolloped onto fresh strawberries in summer, a little orange or lemon flavored butter mixed into plain white rice (and then add some chopped mint leaves as a garnish)
- try making a fragrant vinegar to use in your salad dressing,(one drop of oil per tablespoon of vinegar).
- How about an orange and ginger marinade for prawns? Or a little lemon and orange essential oil mixed with honey and mustard and brushed onto chicken before grilling.
Yum. And don’t even get me started on how delicious your baking can become. A little oil goes a long way, but smart use of the right flavors will catapult your baking to the stars! Delicious orange and cinnamon bread; fragrant lemon butter icing; a few drops of your favorite mixed into some raw honey……….There is no limit to what you can do. And as if this isn’t good news enough, there is more good news in that many of the oils have digestive properties and are healthful too.